Thursday, May 11, 2006


Current mood: sad
Category: Quiz/Survey

Man my town sucks.

I have noticed there are quite a few musos or people who would like to be musos on myspace. Isn't it cool when you waltz out on stage with your guitar in your hand and a quickend pulse and you see lots of people out there?

Well unfortunately where I come from (A little k*k dorpie, in South Africa, called Vereeniging) it isn't so....You know in the movies when someone asks a stupid question and there is dead silence, all you hear is this chirp, chirp of crickets. Well you have a good chance of that happening to you when you walk out on stage there. There seems to be a sort of mentality going around where people won't go support local bands.

I have been to a couple of shows with live bands, and the turnout was terrible. I've heard stories of bands touring the country, going to Vanderbijlpark (Neighbour of Vereeniging) and having like 30 people pitch. The same band goes to Margate (On the coast) and the main beach is packed with people.

Now I know you might be saying, maybe they were sucky bands. Well the last event I went to had the following bands : Primecircle, The Parletones, The Finklesteins, Grounded, The Waiting Room Band. Now these bands are pretty well known here in SA and they are pretty decent.

Number of tickets sold : round 400.

Tell me that doesn't suck! Now I went to another event outside of the so called "Vaal Triangle" where there were thousands of people. This event was held in Potchefstroom. Another event I went to was in Cape Town and again....Thousands of people.

Now from what I have seen, in my area, there are no bars/clubs etc. where live bands play. The only place you find live bands on a regular occasion is in church.

1. What's it like where you come from?

2. Any ideas on what we can do to improve this?

No comments:

Post a Comment